The Parent Advocate provides direct advocacy and support to caregivers or those who have been impacted by the commercial sex industry, from the perspective of lived experience. This person should be knowledgeable about the issue of the commercial sexual exploitation of children (CSEC) and appropriate resources for both youth and parents.
Position: Part-time, 10-15 hours per week
Reports to: Senior Lead Case Manager
- Have had a child or youth with former DCFS and/or Probation.
- Have successfully reunified with child or youth for at least one year or exited the child welfare system for at least one year.
- Direct experience with child involved systems.
- Strong interpersonal skills, knowledge of CSEC and advocacy.
- Ability to drive to client homes throughout Los Angeles county, from Lancaster to Long Beach and anywhere in between.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish, strength in written and verbal communication
- Knowledge of the Juvenile Justice system preferred.
- Knowledge of criminal court process preferred.
- Knowledge of working with DCFS and Probation preferred.
- Comfort navigating Los Angeles County and surrounding counties.
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office, Google Suite, etc.
- Ability to work on Mac computers, required
- Reliable means of transportation that is registered and that you are insured to drive
- A California driver’s license
- TB test
- Ability to work non-traditional hours, (for groups held in the evening hours)
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work specifically to help meet the specialized needs of parents or caregivers whose children have been sexually exploited by developing a therapeutic relationship with them.
- Facilitate and coordinate groups using the Parent Empowerment Program
- Curriculum on sexual exploitation, prevention, intervention, and other topics geared to address specific needs of parents.
- Communicate with parents to coordinate logistics for groups to be facilitated.
- Provide advocacy services for parents and caregivers, in person and virtually.
- Assist parents and caregivers with obtaining resources.
- Report child abuse or neglect as a mandated reporter.
- Work in collaboration with and to support/educate other staff on the specific needs of parents also serve as an advocate and public speaker/community educator on the issue of sex trafficking and working with victims, including the families.
- Complete documentation and notes after each group session or meeting with parents/caregivers.
- Provide support for parents and caregivers as needed. This includes identification of needs and services, along with linkage to resources to meet identified needs and services.
- Maintain appropriate boundaries and balanced relationships with parents and caregivers and other staff at Saving Innocence.
- Attend trainings, workshops and continuing education to complete at least 40 hours initially, and 20 hours annually, being CPR and First Aid certified.
- Participate in supervision with the supervisor weekly.
- Maintain a schedule of all scheduled appointments on Google calendar daily.
- Document hours worked on Quickbook Time daily.
- Document all activities, daily.
- Assist with safety planning and support through crisis and court processes
- Ability to communicate effectively with both staff and clients
- Completes all required documentation in a timely manner.
- Attends staff meetings and group or individual supervision.
- Participates in ISFC and resource family trainings, and support groups as needed.
- Additional duties may be assigned by the Senior Director of Clinical Programs
- Collaborate with SI staff re needs of a parent advocate from current clients.
If this sounds like a good fit for you, please submit your professional resume with a thoughtful cover letter, detailing why you are interested in working as part of the Saving Innocence team. We can’t wait to hear from you!
The benefits package described below is designed to flex to the amount of hours worked by each individual part-time employee. Part-Time Employee is defined as an employee who works less than 30 hours per week.
- Paid Vacation: Vacation will accrue at the rate of .077 hours for each 1 hour worked. (i.e. approximately 20 prorated days annually of paid vacation time for an employee who works 20 hours per week), for use after the 90th day of employment.
- Paid Sick Leave: Accrue up to 6 days of Paid Sick Leave at the rate of 1 hour of Paid Sick Leave for every 30 hours worked.
- Supplemental Paid Sick Leave (Covid Sick Leave): One bank of hours (equal to 1 week of regularly scheduled working hours) to be used for covid symptoms and quarantine for you or a family member, no positive test needed. One bank of hours (equal to 1 week of regularly scheduled working hours) to be used for positive covid test results. Remote work may be coordinated when you are using this time, if remote work is available for your position.
- Holiday Pay: (10 prorated days annually observed as follows) New Year’s Day, MLK Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day After Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day
- Retirement: Saving Innocence offers a 401(k) match of 100% of the employee’s 401(k) contributions up to 5% of their annual gross compensation. This means that for every $1, Saving Innocence will match $1 to your account up to 5% of the eligible pay. Vesting is immediate for employee deferrals. Employer contributions are subject to a 5-year vesting schedule.
- Maternity/Paternity Leave Wage Replacement: up to 8 weeks, coordinating with EDD
- Monthly Childcare Reimbursement: up to $200
- Cell Phone or Reimbursement: Company iPhone to be used for all business-related communication during employment or monthly reimbursement of up to $25, for use of your personal cell phone
- Internet Reimbursement: up to $25, monthly
- Counseling Benefit: Up to 4 hours per month of paid time while attending counseling (voluntary) and up to 50% reimbursement of counseling fees
- Jury Duty: 5 prorated paid working days, annually, if called to Jury Duty
- Laptop: Company laptop to be used for all required work during employment
- Mileage Reimbursement: for all required miles traveled in your personal vehicle
- Saving Innocence/Hope Dealer Merchandise
- The opportunity to work with a passionate and caring team AND MORE!
To apply for this job please visit savinginnocence.bamboohr.com.